If your child has a difficult time at the dentist’s office because of dental fear or anxiety, Dr. Courtney Uselton and associates offer general anesthesia sedation options with the Southwest Surgery Center. If you have any questions about our surgery center sedation option in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, or if you would like to schedule an appointment for your child, feel free to call our office at 412-257-1150.
Instructions for General Anesthesia with Southwest Surgery Center:
Your child is scheduled to be treated under general anesthesia at Southwest Surgery Center to have all of their dental work completed at one time. He/She will be intubated during the procedure, meaning they will have a breathing tube in place. One of our dental associates will be performing the dental surgery.
Southwest Surgery Center:
Address: 500 North Lewis Run Road, Suite 202, Pittsburgh, PA 15122
Website: Every Day Giving Excellence (southwesternasc.com)
Before your appointment:
- One to two weeks prior, you will receive a letter detailing your financial responsibility. If you would like to know your financial responsibility sooner, you can call (412)-469-6964 to speak with the Billing Department. All major credit / bank cards, check, cash and Care Credit will be accepted for payment. Payment arrangements are available, but must be made in advance prior to the day of the procedure.
- Online medical history must be completed through Southwest Surgery Center’s website: Southwestern Ambulatory Surgery Center. Go to “online clinical history”. This is required. Should your child develop a cough, cold, or any type of illness, you will need to reschedule their appointment.
The Surgery Center will call you at the phone number you provided to our office the day prior to surgery to discuss your child’s health history, arrival time and pre-operative instructions. EATING AND DRINKING INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE FOLLOWED, OR YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE SEEN FOR SAFETY REASONS.
General guidelines for the day of surgery:
- NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK from midnight the day of the procedure. The anesthesia team will give you specific directions for your child.
- A parent or legal guardian must be present for the appointment. Two adults are recommended to attend the appointment.
- Your child may NOT go to school on the day of surgery.
- An adult must be present with the child all day to monitor them, so please plan accordingly.
- Siblings are NOT welcome at this appointment. Please plan for child care.
- Dress your child in comfortable clothing. Pajamas are welcome. Please note, their arms must be accessible. If they are cold, please layer with a t- shirt underneath.
- Bring an extra change of clothes.
Pediatric Dentistry South will call two days prior to your appointment to confirm the surgery. THIS APPOINTMENT MUST BE CONFIRMED OR IT WILL BE CANCELLED BY OUR OFFICE.
What to expect the day of your appointment:
- Arrival time is not surgery time. Upon arrival, you will register your child. They will then be evaluated by the anesthesia team to ensure your child is well enough for sedation that day.
- Two adults are recommended to attend the appointment. However, only one parent/guardian will be permitted in the pre-op and post-op areas at this time due to COVID safety measures.
- Once in the pre-op area, your patient will be weighed. They will be given a small amount of medicine, Midazolam, to drink. Please be prepared, if your child cannot tolerate taking liquid medications, the medication will be administered through their nose with a nasal mister. After they drink their medicine, they will be given a prize and are able to watch cartoons and/or color with you by their side.
- The dentist will speak with you prior to the procedure to review the treatment plan and answer any questions.
- You will be present in the pre-op area with your child. Once it is their surgery time, they will be taken to the surgical area. Parents are not permitted in the surgical area. The surgery center staff will review where you can wait during your child’s procedure.
- Following the completion of the procedure, the dentist will review the treatment that was completed and the recommended post-operative instructions.
- One parent will be permitted in the post-operative area while your child recovers from anesthesia. The anesthesia team will review post-operative instructions at that time.
Please be prepared to be with your child for the entire day. Everyone recovers from surgery differently and your child will require direct supervision.
If you have any questions regarding your child’s procedure, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
The doctors and staff of Pediatric Dentistry South412-257-1150
For more information about general anesthesia with Southwest Surgery Center and to make your child’s appointment with our dentists, please contact our office.